How to enable IMAP Desktop Notifications in Outlook 2010
We are often asked on the support desk “how do I enable IMAP desktop notifications in Outlook when I receive new email?” This is a popular feature which you may be familiar with at work if your company uses Microsoft Exchange, but it isn’t an option enabled by default for uses who access their email using the POP3 or IMAP protocols.
The answer is only 10 steps long, but not obvious for many users:
- Select the Inbox folder of your IMAP account
- Click the Home tab or File
- Click on the Rules and Alerts and choose Manage Rules & Alerts
- New Rule
- Select: ‘Apply rule on messages I receive’ and press the Next button
- Verify that no condition is selected and press next
- A warning will state that this rule will apply to all messages. Press “Yes”
- Select the following actions – play a sound – display a Desktop Alert
- Click Next and then Next again to skip the exceptions dialog.
- Specify a name for the rule and press Finish to complete the rule.
Once this rule is setup, any new email messages will cause a desktop notification or pop up box to appear.
This can save you a lot of time by being able to read one line emails without having to open full screen, filtering out high priority emails, or quickly delete spam without opening and reading it in Outlook.